I know it sounds hilarious when you first hear it, but this is actually a fairly standard tactic among terrorist overseas. Consider this most recent incident as reported by Jihad Watch.
The underlying principles for this tactic are quite simple, regardless if it is a man or woman in the garb:
- A fully clothed woman (or man) in a burqa provides a way to hide a large amount of explosives or weapons under the robe/cloak.
- Since Burqa’s and Abaya’s (cloaks) are predominately black in color, the weapons/bombs do not “Print” on the outside and are easily to conceal for longer periods of time
- Islamic women fully dressed in burqa’s are often given a wider berth in public places due to their strict islamic customs and people not wanting to offend them.
- Men in general are programmed to be inherently polite to women and to extend general courtesy; this is especially true to “religious women”. Think about seeing a nun in public, most men give them the right of way without thinking twice. Terrorist count on this principle.
With islam becoming more and more “integrated” into American society, and something you are more than likely to come into contact with, it would behoove he CO to become familiar with some terms for islamic clothing.
Some things to watch out for when around somebody in islamic garb:
- Unusual bulges in the clothing, especially around the mid-section where an explosives or weapons belt would be.
- A general Bulky appearance that does not fir the person’s frame or size. This could be caused from an explosives or weapons vest under the clothing.
- Often with explosives belts or vest, the detonator is a small device, typically a button or switch connected by a wire that runs up the sleeve to the hand. BOLO for such a device or wires.
- When walking, the person arms do not move normally. This would indicate they are carrying something under the clothing.
- Constant chanting of prayers or arabic anthems in public such as “allahu akbar”; this may indicate that a violent act or jihad is about to occur.
Stay Alert, Stay Armed and Stay Dangerous!