I wanted to review for you guys a couple more pieces of gear from my friends at Spec-Ops Brand in Monahans, Texas.
The first is a piece of kit is one that I have worn every day for several years now, the Better BDU Belt.
Here are the Specs from the website:
The best-selling Better BDU Belt has been improved. Our new HD webbing has the stiffest side-load to materials weight ratio available. This means you can carry holsters, tool and ammo pouches more efficiently and more comfortably than ever before! Offers the stiffness of a conventional stitch-down leather duty tactical belt at a fraction of the weight! Combine that with our patented micro-adjustable Battle Buckle and you have the finest utility pants belt on the market today! Features & Benefits: The Better BDU Belt from Spec.-Ops.® Brand. Thick enough to keep its shape under load, the Better BDU Belt is sized to properly fit the belt loops on BDU pants. The single piece, high-tech polymer BATTLE-BUCKLES™ Belt Buckle (patent pending) is easy to adjust and is much quieter and stronger than “issue” belts. The non-magnetic construction allows you to keep your tactical belt on even when passing through airport security or secured entry into public buildings.
- STRONG AND DURABLE: The BATTLE-BUCKLES™ Hardware (patent pending) is tough enough to withstand the most rigorous battle conditions.
- NON-MAGNETIC: Won’t set off metal detectors and is safe for EOD use.
- IMPROVED LOAD BEARING: New HD Webbing is specifically designed to handle loads like holsters and other belt mounted gear.
- COMFORTABLE: “Micro-adjustable” buckle for greater comfort and a perfect fit.
- FAST AND EASY: Unique “Flip-Tab” buckle design allows quick, easy belt sizing and adjustment.
- TWO WIDTHS AND WAIST SIZES: Available in 1.5″ and 1.75″ widths and three waist sizes: Regular, 24-36 inches; Large, 36-46 inches and X-Large, 46 – 54 inches.
- FIVE COLORS: Black, Olive, Tan, Coyote Brown, and Gray (approved for the USMC Martial Arts Program).
NOTE: THIS BELT IS IN NO WAY TO BE CONSIDERED AS A RAPPELLING DEVICE! DO NOT USED FOR RAPPELLING, CLIMBING, PERSONAL SECURITY, HANGING OR TIE-IN SITUATIONS!
OK, so now you have got the specs, let me tell you from experience, this is the only belt the Civilian Operator will ever need. I have just about ever color they offer for different occasions: casual dress, firearms training classes, travel, you name it. The belt is made for the frequent traveler also. The buckle being non-magnetic keeps you from headache of being “shook down” by TSA every time you fly, plus it is adjustable, so on those long flights or drives, you can let out a few inches and relax without having to remove the belt! And to top it all off, the Better BDU Belt (along with ALL of Spec-Ops Brand Gear) is made right here in Monahans, Texas, USA!!
The second piece of kit is Spec-Ops Brand Combat Master Short Utility Knife Sheath.
First the Specs:
The “COMBAT MASTER” utility knife sheath was developed to be the answer to a need from the field: Safely and securely carry the operators blade as well as be able to easily adapt to all M.O.L.L.E. type (PALS webbing loops) systems as well as duty and pants belts. The COMBAT MASTER is the only sheath commercially available that was specifically designed to accomplish this feat. Fully jumpable and overbuilt, this is the essential sheath for your combat blade!
- Fully adjustable utility / tool pouch.
- “Diamond Braid 550 Cord” tie-down and leg-loop rigging.
- Unique “MULTI-FIT” KYDEX® liner securely holds most blade widths and thicknesses (removable for cleaning).
- Tie-down loops on underside.
- Web loop at bottom for tie-down to packs, leg-loop, etc.
- Extra durability with double-layered 1000D. Cordura® fabric used throughout.
- Mil-spec. Grommet tie-downs along sides of sheath body.
- Jump-ready with redundant tie-down for knife handle and additional secure-down points along body and backside of sheath.
- Fits blades up to 6″ long and 1 3/4″ wide.
For those of you that venture out in the woods often, or perhaps train regularly with your firearm, having a good-sized combat/survival blade on your person is never a bad ideal. The Combat Master sheath not only offers you the versatility for belt carry with the “split-loop” design, but also has the ability to be mounted on any MOLLE webbing like a pack, vest or chest rig. The sheath also has PLENTY of 550 cord for tie-downs, both for leg carry and to attach to a pack, vest or chest rig. Tie-down loops can also be found on underside with a web loop on bottom also. Mil-Spec grommets can be found along the side for additional tie-down points to make “jump ready” if desired.
The Combat Master Short model, fits knives with blades up to 6″ long and 1 3/4″ wide. I could fit my full size Ka-Bar, which has a blade of 7″, but it was very snug and tight. I would recommend, as would Spec-Ops Brand, for a blade longer than 6″, like that found in a Ka-Bar, to purchase their Combat Master Long, which will fit blades up to 8″ comfortably. The liner within the sheath itself is made up of a thick kydex, which will protect the blade from wear and is also removable for cleaning.
A fully adjustable utility pouch is included in front with a hook and loop closure (velcro). This pouch can accommodate something as simple as a sharpener to a full size Multi-Tool very easily.
Until next Time…
Stay Armed, Stay Alert and Stay Dangerous!