There is nothing like real world video for use as a combat training tool. We get to see how people really behave in a life and death struggle. There is no better tool to help cut through “fantasy gunfight” training, or worse yet, convince those that believe only minimal training is needed to survive the real fight.
In this particular vid, we see a man about to get carjacked/assaulted/murdered/raped, (take your pick) by these two thugs. Luckily, the man is armed. I am gonna go step with the time counter and show how each step reinforces some basic, and some advanced training skills ALL Armed Citizens need in their toolbox.
- :11 The first thug gains entry into the garage from under the door.
- :12 Because the man in the car is AWARE of his surroundings, through his side-mirrors he sees the thug and his accomplice.
- :15 These 3 seconds (between :12 and :15) are enough time for man in the car to access his weapon and be ready for the thug as he opens the car door.
- :16 The car door is opened and BAM!! the driver lets loose with multiple shots (5 to 6) fired at EXTREMELY CLOSE RANGE (under 3 feet), all of them hitting the thug in chest and upper arm. This goes along with the training fundamental that most gunfights occur within 21 feet and to NEVER Train to fire ONLY a “set” number of rounds at a target! Shoot them to the Ground!
- :17 thru :20 As the driver continues to fire, notice FOUR Things:
- The thugs body is literally turned sideways by the force of the impact of the rounds hitting him. This reinforces the TRUTH that it is the kinetic energy of a bullet that does some of the worst damage internally.
- The Shooter“Drives” toward his target with the weapon: he attacks! and at the same time, he KEEPS FIRING. Once committed to the fight, don’t back down! always forward! Consider: The more distance you close, the more effect your rounds will have and the less chance you have to miss!
- In a split second, he switches targets and engages the second thug. This backs-up the belief that predators rarely work alone, so ALWAYS BOLO and ready to engage another attacker if need be.
- The thug that was shot multiple times in the chest at close range RUNS OFF Like his ass is on fire. This is not uncommon surprisingly. Unlike the movies, unless the bullet strikes the spine or brain, an IMMEDIATE STOP is very uncommon with handgun shootings. This (duh) is why the “Failure to Stop” drill (shots to the head) is very important to drill on (Also the fact that he could be wearing body armor.) Imagine if the thug had a weapon (like a knife) and was still moving toward you (or a loved one) at break neck speed??
- :20 thru :32 The shooter pursues the thugs out of the garage. He watches what direction they went as they run off. When he comes back to his car to reload and get his cell phone to call 911 ( or the Brazilian equivalent) NOTICE: HE KEEPS HIS HEAD ON A SWIVEL; STAYING AWARE OF THE THREAT. The biggest mistake most civilians make is letting down their guard too early after an incident. Do what this guy did: Reload and be ready for another fight!
Stay Alert, Stay Armed, Stay Real in your Training and Stay Dangerous!