Rio’s ‘highway of terror’: Shooter takes aim at cars on ‘Red Line’ road that ALL Olympic athletes and fans must travel to get to games in Brazil
- Terrifying violence has spilled out from favelas to Red Line highway in Rio
- The road is the only route from the city’s airport to the Olympic village
- Image has emerged of a shooter taking aim at cars passing down road
- He appears to be holding a semi-automatic rifle with a holographic sight
- Highway has been blighted by shootings, car jackings and hostage takings
A shooter takes aim at a line of unsuspecting cars filing along the main road into Rio de Janeiro in a scene that should terrify every athlete and visitor to the Olympics this summer.
The road is the Red Line, Rio’s main highway and the only route into Brazil’s Olympic city along which will every sports fan, athletics delegation and foreign dignitary will travel to get to the mega-event.
The 13-mile express way runs from Rio’s international airport into the city, and is in the most part lined with sprawling favela shanty towns which are dangerous no-go zones controlled by heavily-armed drugs gangs.