Really Sad News, but I am digging more into this story. -SF
The gunman behind Sunday’s deadly rampage in Houston has been identified as Afghanistan veteran Dionisio Garza III by ABC13, which found a bag containing bullets and his personal papers at the scene. The bag, which held the 25-year-old’s birth certificate and military discharge record, was turned over to police. According to the military record, Garza was a sergeant who received several awards for his service in Afghanistan. Garza’s father tells KPRC that while there has been no official confirmation yet that his son was the man killed in a shootout with police, his son had exhibited some troubling behavior recently and he believes “it is a PTSD thing.” More:
- Garza’s father says his son believed the US was on the brink of collapsing and had recently moved from California to Texas to meet people who shared his anti-government beliefs. “He was trying to get us all to go over there and, you know, go live in a compound,” the father says.
- WFAA reports that Byron Wilson, a man injured in the attack who was initially believed to be a suspect, was actually an armed Good Samaritan who tried to stop Garza. Wilson was shot and critically injured but is expected to survive.
- Eugene Linscomb, 56, was killed in the shooting rampage, which lasted around an hour and caused widespread panic and confusion. In addition to Wilson, three bystanders and two police officers were injured.
- Paris Nichols tells the Houston Chronicle that when Garza shot Linscomb in the head at the car wash he owns, he thought he would be next, and that his wife—who had been talking to Linscomb—fell to the ground reciting the Lord’s Prayer. He says Garza said Linscomb was the devil and told him, “I’m not going to kill y’all, y’all are Christians.” Nichols says Garza then went to his car to grab an AR-15 assault rifle, declaring that the world was coming to an end and shouting about Jews, gays, and Walmart.
- Nicolas Latiolais, a 17-year-old Boy Scout, is being hailed as a hero who may have saved one shooting victim’s life, ABC13 reports. After seeing the wounded man in the street, Latiolais used the man’s vest as a tourniquet, got somebody to call 911, and stayed with him for 20 minutes until an ambulance arrived.
- Garza’s father says he last spoke to him on Saturday, the day before the shooting. “He was rambling off about the economy collapsing, you know,” he says. “And that something was going to happen by Monday, that kind of stuff. Of course you look back now and there were signs.”
- KPRC has identified a Twitter account believed to be Garza’s. In it, he praises Donald Trump, insults Paul Ryan and London Mayor Sadiq Khan, and talks about the dollar collapsing.
Read the Original Article at Newser